Much of Brisbane’s dedicated bikeway network runs where it’s easy to build paths rather than connecting people with the places they want to get to. These disjointed sections of bikeway meander through low-lying spaces along waterways that are often subject to flooding.
Safe, direct, quick links between existing bikeways, together with space on main roads for cyclists, will ensure that Brisbane has a bicycle network that is fully connected, allowing anyone aged 8 to 80 to ride a bicycle as an efficient and effective means of transport.
Space4cyclingBNE calls on the Brisbane City Council to support the construction of key missing links in the bikeway network as identified by local cycling groups.
Priority missing links already identified are:
- Sylvan Road/Land Street in Toowong
- Shaw Road/Dickson Street/Bridge Street in Wooloowin
- Kingsford Smith Drive in Hamilton/Albion
- Cairns St, Kangaroo Point to Mowbray Park, East Brisbane
- New Farm to Hawthorne (pedestrian and cycle bridge)
We also call on the council to commit to delivering at least one of these additional river crossings during the current term:
- Kangaroo point – Brisbane CBD
- Toowong – West End
- Kangaroo Point – New Farm
- Teneriffe – Bulimba
- River Hills – Bellbowrie